like-minded friends...

...This blog has been created between three like-minded friends who desire to spur one another on to loving Christ more. Join us in our journey! ... Philippians 2:2-11 ...

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Continuing to Learn After College

Coming to the end of my college education really made me think a lot about how much I value learning. I want to keep learning in spite of not being in school, where I would receive assignments, deadlines, lectures and grades.
Because of my desire to pursue learning and knowledge, I took advantage of seeking the wise counsel of the professors around me while still at TMC. One prof told me that one of the best ways to educate yourself after college is to READ! READ! READ! But it should not stop there! He suggested then discussing it with like-minded individuals, others who want to learn and are interested in the same field. That's what we are doing here.
Another professor, when asked about this subject, spoke of the importance of knowing your purpose for studying. He said this is between you and God. One of the most important things you can do, therefore, is pray about it. Pray about what God would have you study and what direction God would have you pursue.
I have thought a lot more on this, especially in Peru. While here I have seen how God has uniquely prepared each one of us for ministry because of past education. He has used my limited knowledge of Hebrew, Kristi's extensive knowledge of Spanish as well as her skill in jumping rope, a seventh grade math lesson I remember because of a good teacher, my knowledge and training in phonics from my mom, and much more. I also see how because of our laziness some of us do not have opportunities or are limited because we did not pursue education with excellence. I wish my motivation for studying Spanish in highschool would have been to learn the language and prepare for whatever the Lord had in store for me instead of to get a good grade.
This has all brought me to the realization that every opportunity for gaining knowledge I will pursue whole heartedly for the sake of the gospel. I don't want my life to be wasted and just like Jodi with her "Summer Mentality" realization, I too realize life is short!
God faithfully prepares us for the future. He is the best teacher with the best illustrations, homework, and perfect timing. I want to be the best student I can be. I want to be working whole heartedly so that I can maximize every opportunity for the gospel in the future. The pastor, of a church here in Lima, in a sermon told the Peruvian congregation that they should all learn English because most of the world knows English and then they can tell them about the gospel. I want to be pursuing knowledge and education for that purpose, for God's glory. I want to be pursuing it with excellence because that is what is required in light of God's glory and His perfect preparation of us for the future. I don't want my life to be wasted.

- Proverbs 23:12 Apply your heart to instruction and your ear to words of knowledge.
- Proverbs 23:23 Buy truth and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding.

Posted by Jenn from Peru

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home