like-minded friends...

...This blog has been created between three like-minded friends who desire to spur one another on to loving Christ more. Join us in our journey! ... Philippians 2:2-11 ...

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Differences in Meals

I have noticed a few things that are different here about eating meals than in America. Some of them are true of Israeli culture but many of them are true of many cultures because of the diverse cultures represented by the volunteers here.
1. cleaning plates - I have learned to only take what I can eat. I noticed that most of the volunteers eat everything they take. This doesn't seem typical of American culture to me.
2. I am hungry when I get to meals. Truly hungry. This isn't always so in America where I snack a lot and don't work as hard.
3. My diet is a lot more healthy but the great thing is I don't pay more and take more time and money to get the healthy food and to prepare it. It seems like eating healthy in America costs more than eating junk. Even exercise here is free and goes along with everyday life. I don't pay for a gym membership and I don't take extra time to do it. I exercise as I work.
4. We take more time to eat meals here. Sometimes dinner lasts for two hours or more. New people join us and we wait till they are finished. We talk and share. We go back for a cup of coffee or tea and maybe even a second one after that. It is quite nice.
5. The menu - I eat bell peppers for breakfast lunch and dinner. That isn't all I eat but it is only on a rare rushed day that I don't eat them at every meal.

These are just a few differences. I am sure there are more. One obvious one would be the kosher rules :).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home