like-minded friends...

...This blog has been created between three like-minded friends who desire to spur one another on to loving Christ more. Join us in our journey! ... Philippians 2:2-11 ...

Monday, September 18, 2006

Are you time\task oriented or people oriented?

I have been doing a lot of thinking on different cultures due to taking Foreign Mission Prep last semester, spending a significant amount of time in two countries outsid the U.S. recently, and hanging out with many people from around the world. I started contrasting American time/task oriented culture with other more people oriented cultures. When some of my good friends who grew up overseas pointed out how task oriented I was it kind of upset me. I didn't want to be task oriented. It sounded so much better to be people oriented. I like people a lot and so I wanted to be thought of as people oriented. I saw the difference in the two mindsets when one of my friends and I ran errands on campus. I saw it as wise to seperate since our errands would take different lengths of time and be in seperate locations. She probably would have preferred to stick together and do them one by one while spending time together. Later that semester as I began reading books on cuture in FMP I was even more convinced that I wanted to be people oriented rather than task or time oriented.
My desire to be more people oriented increased even more as I spent time with my brothers girlfriend who is Columbian and as I heard him talk about her family. I too got to see a little of the Latin culture as I went to Peru this summer. I learned a lot from watching the people in Peru and became more purposeful in being people oriented.
This focus and thought process continued as I began working here in Israel among believers from around the world. I loved how long our meals took. I enjoyed talking late into the night over my second cup of coffee. I tried during this time to get my tasks done and still spend a ton of time with those around me. It is really hard to try to strive to do everything, be everywhere, and be everything to everyone.
I am thankful that I have tried to be more purposeful with people. I think that is good but I think my focus on making myself people oriented and trying to not be task oriented was unnecessary.
I came to this conclusion after seeing two men's work ethic recently. One man I don't know at all. I know that he has great material that should be published because it would benefit many and he sits on the material doing nothing with it. In my mind if you have the best material I would think that you would want to sell it and share it with others not sit on it just because you know you have the best so you don't need to fear that someone else will come out with a similar product sooner. Seeing this made me consider the importantance of getting tasks done. Completing tasks is a very important part of loving and serving others. I also think it is important to be responsible and to use the resources God gives us.
The other man I have learned from of late does use the resources God gives, including his time, very well. This man, whom I work for, taught me by his example that if you are Godward oriented you will be task oriented, time oriented, and people oriented. Being responsible with your time and resources will be important to someone who wants to glorify God in everything. Focussing on people also flows naturally out of a heart oriented to God. This man is always working on projects. He is an amazing scholar. A few of us got to go out exploring with him one day. What an amazing opportunity. I was so glad to be along. The amazing thing to me was that he was so considerate when we couldn't do everything he had planned. Sometimes it was because we weren't as fast as he was. Instead of resenting bringing us along he offered to stop and take a break or stop and get a cold drink. When we couldn't make it to all of our destinations, he asked which ones we would like to go to, even though he probably had preferences and it would have been better for him to visit certain ones. I also have noticed his consideration of others when people stop in his office to talk with him. Random people sometimes want to talk to him and he always makes time, even though he has 101 things he could be doing. He gets so much done yet he is so thoughtful towards others. As I thought about this I came to the conclusion that what is important is being Godward focussed. If you are you will naturally focus on others and the tasks at hand. I have also come to the conclusion that I am thankful for my American work ethic and now no longer wish I was raised in another culture. My desire now is to grow in being more focussed on God and to become more like my Savior.
So, while I think it is good to be aware of your natural tendencies, like my tendency to be task or time oriented, I think it is more important to be Godward oriented and to be seeking a balanced life where all your resources and time are used purposefully for His glory.

3 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this all the way through earlier today and when I finished I had tears in my eyes. I am not sure I can articulate why at the present moment but several reasons went through my mind this afternoon. All I can say is that God is good, you are growing, and I love to witness it even from thousands of miles away. :)

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

God is good indeed. It is good to hear from you Cyni.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Jenn,
Thanks so much for this post. It is so neat to hear from you and how you are working through these different things. It is very encouraging. I'm glad for what you're learning, and for how you just "hit it on the mark". No matter if we learn more toward being task or people oriented, we are in great need of focusing on God and then seeing how HE will work out the rest.
I also thought of our RA training and how Bosworth told us that we can serve others even in tasks and in taking care of the details. That has always stuck with me. Thanks again for taking the time to write your post. It was an encouragement to me. I sure do miss you friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home