like-minded friends...

...This blog has been created between three like-minded friends who desire to spur one another on to loving Christ more. Join us in our journey! ... Philippians 2:2-11 ...

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Remembering to be Thankful

Today my parents and I were out shopping, and I saw a barefoot homeless man digging some thrown-away pastry out of a trashcan and devouring it as though he hadn't eaten for a week. My dad and I went and got him a coffee and some apple fritters. The details are mostly trivial, but it's times like those that make me remember... I am so wealthy and have so much. I have a warm place to sleep at night and three meals a day if I want and a closet full of clothes and a bank account and opportunities for school and to travel and I am surrounded by people who care for me and love me. We in the human race--and even those of us who are God's children--are so quick to forget and complain. It's no wonder that God continually told Israel to remember remember REMEMBER. So many times they forgot and it resulted in complaining. So many times WE forget and start to complain. But contentment... ah, that little word, and remembering what our great God has done for us... how we are wrapped in His mercy and grace. When we contemplate that all we truly deserve is hell, and anything above that is a gracious gift of God... then there is much to be thankful for and much reason to be content.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home