like-minded friends...

...This blog has been created between three like-minded friends who desire to spur one another on to loving Christ more. Join us in our journey! ... Philippians 2:2-11 ...

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Prayer

I am currently reading the Puritan Paperback "Prayer" by John Bunyan. As I read it something has struck me that I think I knew but never knew so clearly and never knew how to explain to others. I have often been in discussion with others who have said that they prayed but God did not answer their prayer. When it has been pointed out to them that He promises to give what you pray for according to His name and will they feel like they are being swindled by the fine print on an agreement. That is not the case at all.
God is good and gracious. I often do not know what to pray and sometimes I pray for the wrong thing. I am thankful that many times God has not given me what I asked for.
In speaking on prayer and submitting to the will of God, Bunyan says,

"The people of the Lord in all humility are to lay themselves and their prayers,
and all that they have, at the foot of their God, to be disposed of by Him as He
in His Heavenly wisdom sees best. Yet not doubting but God will answer the
desire of His people that way that shall be most for their advantage and His
glory (pg. 22)."

The Christian prays submitting to whatever God may reply because they fully know and trust that God works all things for their good and His glory. Even if He answers "no" to their request, they rejoice because of this truth.

Psalm 115:3 "Our God is in the Heavens; He does all that He pleases."

We are not God. It is good that we are not sovereign and that He who is good and sovereign hears our prayers and acts accordingly. He does what is good for those of us who are believers and what His will and pleasure is. Those two complement each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home