like-minded friends...

...This blog has been created between three like-minded friends who desire to spur one another on to loving Christ more. Join us in our journey! ... Philippians 2:2-11 ...

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Lessons Learned from Children

The thing that has struck me with the most force while spending time with kids this summer is that kids remind me of my own sinfulness and of the deceitfulness which dwells in my heart. While some may look at cute little kids and see the inherent goodness of man, I see mans wickedness and need for a Savior. The deception that a four year old is able to conceive of astounds me. Kids so naturally know how to harm one another and use their mouths to tear one another down. Their first inclination seems to be to fight against what they are told to do and desire to not be forced to submit. I see this in my one-year-old niece.

While working with the kids I also have considered my own actions as a child. In first grade I discovered a way to cheat on my Bible verse quizzes. For the rest of that year I never studied another Bible verse. Every P.E. day, the same year, at the age of six, I would consider new ways to willfully deceive my teacher so I could miss P.E. I was a good liar. There are many other examples in my life of my wicked heart. All of this just reminds me how thankful I am for the gospel. I thought I was very good growing up and most adults also would have said I was a good child. Appearing good on the outside was not enough. I was a white-washed tomb. My heart was dreadfully wicked. I thought I was just fine and that I didn’t need a Savior. I was so blind. I am so incredibly grateful that God called me and allowed me to see my sin and saved me when I despised Him and was in a state of denial of both my sin and my need for a savior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home