like-minded friends...

...This blog has been created between three like-minded friends who desire to spur one another on to loving Christ more. Join us in our journey! ... Philippians 2:2-11 ...

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Social Drinking at Gramma's

Jenn... this one is for you (you would fit right in!):

At Gramma's house, drinking coffee is a social event. We gather for this mini ceremony multiple times every day, including but not limited to mid-morning, after lunch, and evening. The most important questions to be answered during each of these occasions is "Who will drink?" (to which a simple raise of the hand will get you into the coffee club for that particular session) and the next question is "Where will we drink?" In this house, coffee is not made to merely be consumed in any given location, but rather to all drink together in one appointed location. It could be in the living room, the front yard, the back yard, or in the deck/sun room. And so, everyone knows that once they have poured and readied their coffee that they will all meet up in this one spot for usually at least 10 minutes of coffee fellowship and conversation. These are often when the best conversations occur too, such as talking about funny members of the very extended family, what's on the news, what the neighbor told us, who we saw in town, updates from our family around the world, good jokes, bad jokes, what life was like when gramma and grampa were young, what bad things my dad and his brothers did when they were young, and so much more. So even if I should be studying, I nearly always make time for the family fellowship around the coffee cup. I often come away having learned something new, or having had a good chuckle, and I'm pretty sure I always come away with a smile on my face.

3 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodi,
Thank you so much for this post. It sounds so nice. I wish I was there. I look forward to coffee club next year in Israel with the students.
Love ya, Jenn

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Jenn,
For sure... that's what it made me think of when I was writing this post. I hope it'll be a great tradition!

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having a cup right now and thinking of you.
- Jenn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home